Your 2020 tax statements are now available through Hatch.

Tax in the US

No. Tax only applies to dividends.

Tax in NZ - Individuals with $50,000 NZD or less invested overseas

Maybe. If your overseas investments (excluding any investments held in a PIE) total less than $50,000 NZD for the whole tax year, you shouldn't need to pay tax on any gains as long as you didn't buy the shares for the purpose of selling them, aren't in the business of buying such investments, aren't a dealer in such investments and didn't buy them as part of a profit-making scheme. We recommend you chat with a professional tax advisor to understand your obligations.

Note: If you’re a tax resident outside New Zealand you’ll need to consider the tax rules for every other country, including double tax agreements. As always, we recommend seeking professional tax advice.

Tax in NZ - Trusts or individuals with $50,000 NZD or more invested overseas

Yes. If your overseas investments (excluding any investments held in a PIE) as an individual total over $50,000 NZD, your overseas investments will generally be taxed under the Foreign Investment Fund (FIF) rules and you will not be taxed separately on any gains you make on the sale of your shares. We have partnered with Sharesight and Hnry to make tax time easy (both make calculating your FIF obligations easy), and we also recommend you chat to your professional tax advisor before investing.

More information:

- Our tax blog
- Completing your NZ tax return for the 1 April 2019 - 31 March 2020 Tax year
- The IRD's Guide to foreign investment funds and the fair dividend rate
- The IRD's technical tax area

Help from Hatch partners:

Note: Your tax obligations will depend on your situation, so we recommend that you seek professional tax advice. These obligations may change over time, it’s your responsibility to keep up to date with changes.

Did this answer your question?