Yes! You can open a Hatch account if you’re a New Zealand tax resident, living in New Zealand - even if you don't have a NZ Passport of Driver's Licence.
If you have a NZ driver's licence or NZ passport, you can finish the verification process quickly, and completely online.
If you have a foreign passport
If you have a foreign passport, we need a bit more info to get you up and running. All you need to do is follow the 5 steps below and we'll have you up and running in no time:
1. Sign up to Hatch like normal
2. Complete the online process to verify your identity: instructions below
When we ask you to enter your ID details:
- Select 'New Zealand Driver's Licence'
- Enter: DL000000 ('What's your driver's licence number?')
- Enter: 123 ('And the version number?')
Then complete the rest of the form with your correct information.
At the end, you'll get a message saying "We need some time to verify your details". That just means we've received your info and we're waiting for the extra documents (as outlined below).
3. Upload a certified copy of your passport
It can be a PDF, photo or screenshot. Your passport needs to clearly show:
- Your full name
- Your passport number
- Your photo
- Your date of birth
- The issue and expiry dates
- The country it was issued in
- Your signature
The certification information on the document needs to include:
- A certification date within the last 3 months
- The certifier's name
- The certifier's occupation
- The certifier's signature
- The date of certification
- A statement confirming that the document is a 'True Copy' and 'True Likeness' of you
IMPORTANT: you may need to ask the certifier to ensure they add the 'True Likeness' statement - this is important for us to be able to confirm your passport is yours.
4. Upload proof of your home address
You can send us a photo, screenshot or PDF that shows:
- Your name
- Your address in New Zealand
- The issue date (in the last 12 months)
- The issuing organisation's logo
We can accept documents from these New Zealand organisations:
- Bank or financial institution
- Power or phone company
- Government department (e.g tax return, vehicle registration, rates)
- GP or hospital
- Landlord (e.g tenancy agreement)
- School or tertiary institution
5. Email or upload a copy of your relevant working visa (this step is not required for Australian passport holders**)
You can send us a photo, screenshot or PDF.