Yes. You can open a Hatch account if you’re a New Zealand tax resident, living in New Zealand. You'll need a NZ Driver's licence or Passport (foreign passports are now allowed!) to verify your identity.
If you have a foreign passport
We a bit more info to get you up and running but we'll get there! Please follow the 5 steps set out here:
1. Sign up to Hatch like normal
2. Complete the online process to verify your identity: instructions below
When we ask you to enter your ID details:
- Select 'New Zealand Driver's Licence'
- Enter: DL000000 ('What's your driver's licence number?')
- Enter: 123 ('And the version number?')
Then complete the rest of the form with your correct information.
At the end, you'll get a message saying "We need some time to verify your details". That just means we've received your info and we're waiting for the extra documents (as outlined below).
3. Upload a certified copy of your passport
It can be a PDF, photo or screenshot. Your passport needs to clearly show:
- Your full name
- Your passport number
- Your photo
- Your date of birth
- The issue and expiry dates
- The country it was issued in
- Your signature
The certification information on the document needs to include:
- A certification date within the last 3 months
- The certifier's name
- The certifier's occupation
- The certifier's signature
- The date of certification
- A statement confirming that the document is a 'True Copy' and 'True Likeness' of you
Important: you may need to ask the certifier to ensure they add the 'True Likeness' statement - this is important for us to be able to confirm your passport is yours. During Level 3 this may be hard to come by, so let us know if you don't have both the 'True Copy' and 'True Likeness' statements on your certified copy, and we'll look at what we can do.
4. Upload proof of your home address
You can send us a photo, screenshot or PDF that shows:
- Your name
- Your address in New Zealand
- The issue date (in the last 12 months)
- The issuing organisation's logo
We can accept documents from these New Zealand organisations:
- Bank or financial institution
- Power or phone company
- Government department (e.g tax return, vehicle registration, rates)
- GP or hospital
- Landlord (e.g tenancy agreement)
- School or tertiary institution
You can send us a photo, screenshot or PDF.